If you are starting to feel tired and need an easy luxury escape not far from London , then I can really recommend Lime Wood. We’ve been there shortly after they opened and then returned either as a family or just the two of us.
Limewood Hotel is of a class of its own. It’s a five star luxury hotel set in the beautiful New Forest where horses and pigs wander freely. So the first thing you do is don your wellies (borrowed from the boots room) and go for a walk. The second thing you do is settle in your lovely room.
Lime Wood hotel – which room to choose?
We have stayed in the main building and in the outside pavilions. Often for families, they will recommend that you book a Forest Hideaway Suite. The pavilions are separated by a short walk from the main building. The benefit is that you get a lounge downstairs where Mademoiselle slept and open fireplaces! The decor is forest chic, with soft white and greens and warm covers on the bed. Bathrooms have wonderful fluffy towels and rain showers. All in all very luxurious.
We do tend to prefer staying in the main house though. We had a lovely room just the two of us the first time we went as a couple but the rooms which acommodate children are good too. Your child will either sleep in the separate lounge area or at the end of your bed.
Being in the main house means that room service comes to you warmer and also that, in colder months, you can just go down to breakfast without puting a coat on.
You can view photos of the previous rooms we stayed in in the gallery above and Mademoiselle did another one of her room tour:
Delicious food at the Angela and Hartnett Holder & Co
In the main hotel, the restaurant and the courtyard have been refurnished and are much more welcoming than before. The food by Angela Hartnett is delicious, quite simple but full of flavour.
As they have now stopped serving lunch in the room where you have breakfast, it is much less busy in the hotel than when it opened. At the time, there were a lot of ladies who lunch even during the week
The bar in the courtyard area serves good cocktail and you can also order more relaxed food there. Everything on the menu is also available for room service
Great spa but shame about the hours of swimming for kids.
Fortunately, the spa is peaceful and has a lovely hydrotherapy space with a warm pool (the main indoor pool is a bit cold said Mademoiselle and I agree), big sauna, hamam, and power water jets.
The swimming hours for kids are way too strict though. They can only swim between 8:30 and 10;00 am Monday to Saturday and until 11 am on Sunday but not in the afternoon. Before they could go between 15:30 and 17:00. I would like to see the hotel reinstate hat rule during school holidays at least.
Our verdict on Lime Wood hotel in summary
There is a true sense of luxury when you are secluded in your room and the surroundings are beautiful. The food is great and if you don’t come with kids you can really enjoy the wonderful spa.
What we liked
What could be improved
My tips for your family holidays
- There are many activities for children in the New Forest so you won’t be short of ideas to entertain them.
- One of the closest is Paultons Park which has a Peppa Pigg world, perfect for toddlers. It’s only 20 minutes from the hotel. I do recommend going there at the end of November as it was really not busy and we were getting on the rides as soon as we had decided to try them.
- The restaurant does half size portions of the main dishes (all Italian inspired so lots of pasta) and has a light graze menu perfect for small appetites
- No need to take your welly boots (only you have an unusual size) as they have plenty of them including kids’sizes.
- You can borrow bikes (with child seats or child carrier) to cirle around the area.
Lime Wood Hotel, New Forest
- 16 bedrooms
- 14 suites
- 2 forest cottages
- From £385
- Rates exclude breakfast which is at £16.50 per person
- Cots are £10, extra beds are £30
- The simple menu is actually perfect for kids with favourites such as bangers and mash, ravioli, etc. You can also order small portions of the main menu dishes
- Pool but only from 8:30 to 10 am
- Heated indoor pool
- Outdoor heated pool (but not for laps)
- Hydrotherapy pools in the Spa
- Wellington boots to borrow in every size