One of my regular readers (and family member, she will recognise herself) likes her holidays to be both independent and with a bit of help. In short, she’s looking for nice self-catering places where you can have breakfast made for you in the morning. If there is a restaurant nearby, that would be fab too.
I did write a post about this last year but gave her some more ideas this week which I thought you’d like too.
- 2 bedrooms house from 359£ per night in high season
We stayed there a few years ago on their first year of business. The right concept of self-catering nicely decorated flats or houses (some with private pool), a restaurant on site, tennis court and even a club for children.
2. Château St Pierre de Serjac, Languedoc-Roussillon
- 2 bedrooms house from 359£ per night in high season
The same owners have now opened a second similar place and it just opened for summer 2016 bookings (I got their email yesterday). There are 2, 3 and 4 bedroom houses to choose from.
3. Le Domaine Sainte Colombe, Provence
- 1760 Euros a week for 4 in high season
This is for the lovers of nature and upgraded camping as this place has cabans and lodges.
4. Mas de la Galegière, Camargue
- 1450 Euros per week for 4/6 in high season
In Camargue, this mas has both rooms to rent but also 5 private houses that can benefit from the shared pool and the B&B services.
5. Le grand blanc, Lubéron
- No prices available on the site
A private hamlet in the Lubéron with several properties and catering services available on demand.
6. Les domaines de Patras, Provence
- 1800 euros per week for the house for 6 people
In the Drôme Provençale (the northern part of Provence), this domain is both a B&B and a self-catering place with2 flats and a separate house. There is a pool for everyone and even horses!
7. Apokryfo, Cyprus
- Rooms, apartments and houses, 750 Euro (breakfast included) for the Schoolmaster’s House with no luxury spared.
Located at the edge of the picturesque village of Lofou, in the foothills of Mount Olympus, Cyprus. It’s a hotel but also have apartments and two and three bedroom houses. Pool in the courtyard.
Greece and Crete
8. Themonies suites, Folegandros
- 4 suites and one flat. From 145 €
They can provide breakfast and transport from the port. Being close to the village means that you are not close to the sea though so bear that in mind. Also, there is no pool.
9. Skyros suites, Mykonos
- 3 houses. From 140 euros per night out of season
Beautiful design by a London architect with 3 small houses. Breakfast is served in the morning but you can also cook in the communal kitchen. No pool though
10. Corona Borealis, Naxos
- From 150 Euros a night
Another great find by my sister. They offer big rooms and 2 or 3 bedroom apartments individually decorated. Above all, their hospitality and sense of service is really what delighted my sister and brother in law and their two boys.
11. Anemoi, Paros
- Eight apartments and studios, from 1960 Euros a week in high season
The Anemoi hotel in Paros has several appartments that can accommodate from 4 to 6 people. You are also able of course to benefit from the pool and the hotel services.
12. Orloff Resort, Spetses
- Maisonette is from 310 Euros per night
In this hotel, the maisonette is ideal for families with two bedrooms on two levels, a living room, your own kitchen and even a veranda with a view to the pool. Up to 6 people can stay.
13. Rou Estate, Corfu
- From 4777 £ for a week for a villa for 4 people.
We were lucky to stay there a few years ago. Amazing setting (although beware the steep and rocky road to the top), fab poo (and private pools in the villas too) and a restaurant and massage on site! One to book with friends to share the cost.
14. Villa Lena Agriturismo, Tuscany
5 flats and one villa. Between 1600 and 2500 euros per week
A place for the artists in you here as the owners run art workshop for children in the afternoon and it’s also a residence for artists. The description of the summer evenings with cinema on the square or music concerts evoke the best Italian movies.
15. Relais Parco Cavalonga, Tuscany
- 7 independent houses. 1800 Euros per week for a flat with 2 bedrooms
Relais Parco Cavalonga is in effect a “hamlet hotel” – a series of 7 independent accommodations, in rural houses,the Apartment-Suites, and the separate 15 Rooms of the Casale Antico
16. La Scibina, Sicily
- 7 Appartments, from 1400 Euros to 2460 Euros a week
UPDATE: read Colette’s review. She went after finding the property on this blog post!
This property was once a warehouse for almonds and was transformed into the current boutique rental residence in 2013. It comes with a heated pool, a pool for the children, a pool bar, breakfast and some common areas to live in. It’s also really close to the sea.
18. Stazzo lu Ciaccaru, Sardinia
- 2 private villas, from 2500 euros a week
A hotel in Sardinia which also has private villas in renovated old stone farm buildings for 6 to 7 people. You can benefit from the services from the hotel.
19. Monte da Vilarinha – Carrapateira (Sagres / Algarve)
- One big house, 4 studio flats and three 2 bedroom apartments. 200 Euros per night in high season
A very relaxed and barefoot feeling for this place, which is up on a hill but not far from the beach. Very family-oriented.
20. Casas do Coro
- 10 villas/flats for 4 to 6 people. From 175€ to 420 € per night
Near the Spanish border, in the top part of a hilltop village called Marialva. You can either stay in the hotel or rent one of the self-contained individual buildings at the base of the castle walls.
21. Casas De Pousadouro
- Several appartments with 2 bedrooms. From 60 Euros a night in low season
As this is in the Douro valley, you don’t have a beach but the Douro river. The estate can arrange boat trips or help you rent kakak. On site there is a poool and plenty of walks around. The neat thing is breakfast: ingredients are placed in the house’s kitchen the previous night and the warm bread is delivered in the morning.
22. Villa Pedra Natural
- 260 euros per night in high season for a house for 4. Cots and extra beds can be added at a cost
Ten villas spread into a restored hamlet in Serra do Sico, central Portugal. This is a really natural/eco retreat with an outdoor swimming pool where you can really relax. Breakfast is ready whenever you choose! Each villa is pretty eclectic in its decoration and there are various sizes available.
23. Muxima – Montes Ferreiros
- Mangalore room is from 170 Euros per night
The owners, who themselves have two children, are into eco-lodging and have created various casas with an Africa or India theme.
24. La Rectoria de Regencos
- 2 rooms and 2 apartments, from 215 Euros per room, 35Euros extra for children above 4 years old
This new place (found by my sister!) has simple apartments decorated by the famous interior designer Anna Puig. They offer breakfast in the morning but both apartments have kitchen and direct access to the garden so perfect for families with children. Although the website doesn’t show it well, there is a plunge pool and you’re close to the Costa Brava beaches.
That’s a lot of places to check out! Let me know how if it helped for your summer 2016 travel plans!