I’m going to cut to the chase: we LOVED le Domaine des Etangs. I was so enamoured with it that you can read a whole series of posts:follow along for more information about the accommodation, the food, the activities and the suitability for families.
Make sure to read all of them for details and photos.
For those who want the short version, here is a summary of the good and the areas for improvement (not many) and a video tour.
Domaine des Etangs review
What we liked
- Totally idyllic, picture perfect French setting
- Amazing restoration that shows a true love for craftsmanship
- Luxury design and décor down to the smallest details
- Space, space, space
- Great treatments and spa areas
- Fantastic food
- Lots of activities
- Great for families
What to be aware of
- Well, it is a five star hotel with five star prices!
- No simple food options
- Probably not adequate for families with babies and toddlers
Domaine des Etangs video tour
Domaine des Etangs, Charente, France
- 29 rooms
- 6 cottages
- Bedrooms from 550 Euros
- Cottages from 700 Euros for 2 bedroom cottages
- The suites in the castle are immense and can have extra beds
- The cottages are perfect for bigger families
- Playroom indoor with games, table pool, big screen
- Oudoor pool
- Bikes to take for a tour around the estate
- Fabulous outdoor playground with a zip wire, three trampolines, swings etc..
- Tennis court
- Several bases to take a canoe from for a tour on the lakes
- Fitness centre
- Thermal baths