La Donaira is an organic farm, equestrian centre and discreetly luxurious eco-retreat set high in the Serranía de Ronda, Andalucía, southern Spain. When I discovered it, it reminded me of La Ferme du Vent in Brittany.
While la Ferme du Vent is on the seaside, La Donaira is inland but the focus on food, unique spaces and nature is really similar.
Unique accommodation at La Donaira
They have just 9 individually-designed rooms but also a yurt in the grounds! Each room is really unique in style as you can see in the photos.
They have a wonderful mix of modern comfort and look and play a lot on the contrast of textures: smooth floors coupled with metal chairs covered with fur spreads, old stones reflecting in copper baths, floating linen curtains caressing antique paved floors.
The place is made for relaxing but also for activities.
There is a state-of-the-art spa with an heated indoor pool, but also an open air spring fed pool or you can just go hiking, biking, riding and exploring the farm.
They also organise equestrian activities for advanced and leisure riders, farm tours, medicinal garden tours, hands-on gastronomy workshops, wine or olive oil tasting, and guided stargazing on the property. And to add to the concept of wellness, yoga sessions are available on a one to one or group basis every day.
The restaurant serves locally grown produces but they also make their own: bread is baked and eggs collected fresh every morning. They make goats’ milk cheese, press their own extra virgin olive oil and collect honey from their mountain hives. They also have their own vineyards.
La Donaira, Andalucia
- 9 rooms
- Between €250–350 per person per night.
- Accommodation is offered on an all-inclusive basis, and covers breakfast, lunch, dinner; all drinks and snacks; use of the outdoor pool, spa (indoor swimming pool, sauna and hammam) and access to the farm, woodland and medicinal garden.
- All children are welcome.
- Children under 2 years stay free of charge for children’s cots/cribs.
- Children between 2 and 12 years are charged EUR 175 per night for extra beds.
- Outdoor pool
- Indoor pool
- Equestrian center
- Nearest airport is Malaga and you’ll then need a car to get there. There are trains from Malaga to Montecorto but it takes 3h30. Check Directions for options from your home.