Portugal is really becoming a destination for style and charm. After The Independente which I know a lot of you liked, I have the pleasure of introducing today Dona Emilia Casa de Hospedes, a very welcoming B&B which you can also rent as a summer holiday home.
Keeping the family history alive
Located in the heart of Viana do Castelo, North of Portugal, this century-old building was carefully restored . The house was styled like a boutique hotel, but the owners, Nuno Freitas , an architect, and Rute Esteves, a teacher and performer, wanted to give it a homely feel.
It’s also because the house was their grandmother’s, Dona Emilia, a 90 years old lady well known in the city for her culinary and sewing skills, singing fado and sheltering the resistance during the dictatorship.
The decor is full of personal touches. In particular, they made sure to highlight the old features of the house or to recycle them with gusto: old doors turned into headboards for instance, or the workbench of a secondary school of the city transformed into kitchen benches.
A vibrant space for music and arts too
There are 6 bedrooms in total and the owners can very flexibly arrange them in different configuration (single, double, quadruple or even dormitory style!).
On the first floor, guests can enjoy a large kitchen and a pleasant lounge with terrace, both retro vintage inspired.
The kitchen opens to the public every Friday at lunch offering limited and private tastings, only using products from local and organic agriculture. Occasionally and according to the schedule of events, there are also special dinners with live music.
And if all of this was not enough, you can access a garden with a swimming pool and book massages!
Amazing discounts for 2017!
The amazing news is that the prices for this year are really interesting. From January to December 2017, Dona Emília Guest House has a promotional opening campaign, with accommodation rates ranging from € 40-70 per night for two in the low season and € 50-110 € / night for two in high season.
Or rent the whole house for 21 people
They can provide you with breakfast every day if you want to as well. Renting the whole house will give you
- Three rooms on the first floor. Shared toilets (w/ independent female and male showers). Maximum capacity: 3 double beds + 6 extra beds = 12 guests / 4 people max. per room
- Three suites on the second floor. Private bathroom in each suite. Maximum capacity: 3 double beds + 3 extra beds = 9 guests / 3 people max. per room
- * Linen and towels changed every 4 days
- * Free WI-FI
- * Flat Screen TV and cable television service (suites only)
- * Free Access to swimming pool and garden
- * Massage and spa services – On request * Additional price
- * Bicycle Renting – On request * Additional price
Looks like it could be time to go to Portugal!
Dona Emilia Casa de Hospides, Viana do Castelo
- 6 rooms
- From 40 euros per night in low season
- Rent the whole house for 21 people for 5000 Euros per week or 6000 Euros per week with breakfast included
- Art gallery with regular exhibitions of local, national and international artists.
- Bicycle garage
- Shop: handcrafted products from local artists and artisans.
- Outdoor pool
- Friday lunches, sometimes with live music
- Schedule of concerts, performances, workshops, open talks, cinema, dinners and tastings, etc.
- Triple, quadruple and dormitory rooms
- They can also add pull-out bed, bunk bed and extra bed.