I am VERY guilty of reading lots of blogging resources, blogs, books, tips etc.. I have developed a LONG list of “to do” on the blog and instead of doing them, I just keep adding to it because I found yet another great blogging resource.
So today, I am challenging myself to a #BloggingSartDoing challenge. For the next 30 days or so, in any case before Christmas, I vow to
- stop reading anything about blogging. I will just keep those wonderful posts in my Feedly as unread and will get back to them later
- do one of the action items listed below
- tweet about it and post something on Pinterest or Instagram.
for me are
- keep posting my regular content here about boutique hotels and stylish rental places
- break action items in smaller chunks so that they are achievable every day as I still have a full time job and a family to look after
- not research the item itself any longer but just get cracking with it
- not be tied to the order of the list but go with the one that feels good and achievable on the day
How you can join me
1. Establish your own list of action items by
- taking all the highlights from your Kindle readings (go to your kindle.amazon.com account and you can copy and paste all your highlights from there)
- looking at your Instapaper or any other app and select those saved articles that you kept with the idea of “oh i’ll do that later”
- turn this into action items on paper or on an online list tool (I use Workflowy)
2. Follow the hashtag #bloggingStartDoing on Twitter and Instagram
3. let me know what you’ve done and how you’re getting on. If we do it together, we’ll be much more efficient.
here is what I want to achieve.
- content marketing strategy : which content on which network
- finish business plan
- create editorial calendar for the year based on holidays
- Pinterest strategy
- look at my network and list people’s skills that could be useful in creating something different for the blog
- brainstorm list of posts for big personal project
- brainstorm list of posts for holiday help/resources
- create a word cloud of sites of competitors’sites
- review nappyvalleynet research requests and put them in a word cloud
- guest blog : contact places to get photos authorisation
- guest blog : write first draft
- new feature idea : mockup design
- new feature idea : research content for first one
- find help for extra content idea
- try carousel
- create a Start Here page
- replace tag clouds with visuals
- photo session for new about page
- create new About page
- Add WP Optimize
- review home page headline
- Pinterest – reorganise boards
- Create separate sheet for each of the following metrics: A. Your total unique visitors B. Your total visitors from each of the top 10 sources of traffic C. Your average visitor duration
- Create a column for every month for each sheet. So you’ll want a total of 12 columns for each of the three sheets. These will be updated on a monthly basis;
- Create freebie
- Create template in mail chimp
- Send mail to subscribers telling them of change
- add opt-in form at end of each post
Wish me luck !
And you, are there things you want to do on your blog but keep postponing because you spend too much time reading about it rather than doing it ?