Photos by Stefanos Samios
My sister had already tipped me a few years ago about Coroneas Borealis on the island of Naxos. The owners have now opened four new houses at Eros Keros, on the nearby island of Koufonisia.
Eros Keros, back to the authentic Cyclades
Koufonisia refers to two tiny islands with astonishing beaches, unspoiled Cycladic beauty, great food and delightful people: Pano (upper) Koufonisi and Kato (lower) Koufonisi, separated by a 200 m sea channel.
You are back to the original appeal of the Cyclades: the sea, the nature, the sun, the white houses and not tons of tourists as some other islands are now suffering from.
If you like that atmosphere, then Eros Keros will be the perfect hideaway for you. Anita has delicious taste and the houses are both fresh and welcoming with just the right touch of luxury.
There are four independent houses, each with outdoor space and access to an infinity pool below.
The views from the terraces are stunning and when you know that they will bring you breakfast every day, you can just imagine yourself seating at the table admiring the panorama and feeling total bliss!
I like how Anita describes her approach: discreet luxury and serenity. She makes that come to reality via her choice of personally-selected furnishings, fabrics, and artwork, recreating a tradition of style incumbent in all Cycladic houses.
Each house features a bedroom with en-suite marble bathroom, a living area, a fully-equipped kitchen, and a spacious shaded terrace with outdoor seating and sofas where you can lounge the day away as you enjoy the magnificent views of the Aegean and Keros island.
All beds are Simmons king size (1.80 x 2.00) adorned with the highest quality linen sheets.
From the unique position that each of the four houses was designed to have, one can see the islands of Amorgos, Glaronisi, Kato Koufonisi, Schinousa and even Santorini’s lights at night. Fanos and Italida, the two most beautiful sandy turquoise water beaches of the Cyclades, are only a few meters away.
Anita and her team can also arrange room massages. My sister has experienced Anita’s incredible kindness and hospitality so you won’t be disappointed, I’m sure.
Getting there will be an adventure which makes the experience even more enjoyable. We may try it very soon.
Eros Keros, Koufonisia
- 4 houses with one or two bedrooms
- From 230 Euros per night for the smaller house
- From 450 euros per night for the bigger house
- Minimum stay of 4 days in low season, 5 in mid season and 7 in high season
- An extra bed can be added at a cost of 40 Euros
- Kids will probably be happy sleeping on the sofabeds
- Yoga lessons
- Laundry services
- Small lending library
- Assistance with booking and purchase of ferry tickets
- VIP transportation by helicopter
- Either fly direct to Paros, Mykonos or Santorini and then board the Sea-Jet hovercraft to Koufonisi (one and half hours boat trip) or fly to Athens and then commute to Piraeus port to take the High Speed ferry (four and a half hours) or the Blue Star ferry (five and a half hours boat trip) to Koufonisi. Search for flights.
- A third choice is to fly to Naxos (from Athens) and then take one of the three daily ferry services available.
There are also connections from other islands-schedules are usually finalized in late May.
- Pano Koufonisi also has a public heliport that accommodates privately hired helicopters.