English hotels like Lucknam Park have a real knack to make you feel like a Downtown Abbey lady. From the moment you drive down the 1 mile long tree-lined alley, you know you’re in it for something special, in particular if, like us, you are coming to celebrate an anniversary (10 years together) and a birthday (mine, yeepee! ).
This is classic five star luxury hotel with posh lounges, four poster beds, afternoon tea, and the manager coming to greet you when you arrive. We usually don’t stay in old fashioned style hotels but who doesn’t have the fantasy of being a lady of the manor once in a while ?
What makes it more modern though is the wonderful spa: a large indoor pool (where kids are allowed all day), a very nice hydrotherapy pool, several steam rooms and of course treatments galore.
Food was particularly good, probably the best of all the places we stayed in England. The brasserie in the spa in particular had light tasty well presented dishes. Shame about the decor that feels a bit like a busy train station. There is also a Michelin star restaurant in the main house for which you have to dress up : Mr Big had to don his best jacket and tie and may I say that he looked quite dashing.
The setting of the hotel is beautiful : a large estate which you can explore by bike (that you can borrow), horses (they have stables) or foot. It is 20 minutes from Bath and there are other grand houses to visit around .
The service was impeccable with many little touches that made us felt special. We left feeling utterly relaxed and would recommend it to any couple wishing to experience British hospitality at its best.
My tips for your family holidays
- Rooms can accommodate extra beds and they have some in the courtyard that allow for a bit more privacy. We were upgraded two levels up to the best suite in the house with a wonderful marble bathroom but peeking through open doors could see that other rooms were as grand in style, if not in size.
- Lounges feel a bit adult for the kids but we saw some little ones and babies.
- Perfect for active children: an adventure playground, possibility to arrange horse riding, a croquet lawn, a tennis court and of course the pool open all day to children.
- The Michelin star restaurant will welcome kids above 5 years old and they have a special menu for them.
- Mr Big liked the early tea in the morning that is delivered to your room before you go down for breakfast. They will also bring you milk for your children.